October 20, 2020

TechNicheNews

technichenews.com

A Headboard With A Heartbeat

This was a great DIY project that turned out better than expected. My wife wanted a new headboard so I decided to build her one. I knew I wanted to use epoxy resin and make the headboard light up, aside from that I had no solid plan. I found an old tabletop while searching marketplace for discounted lumber. This saved me time and money!

I got the top home and sanded the stains and finish off. It had a few light dings here and there, so I sanded those too without removing too much material in those areas.

After it was all sanded, I had to lay out my pattern where I wanted my epoxy to run. I sketched several different times until I was pleased with what I saw. I took a jigsaw and made the cut then separated the halves where I wanted them.

I covered the bottom of the empty space using tyvek tape to keep the epoxy where I wanted it. This also ensured that I would be able to remove the tape when needed. If you don’t have tyvek tape you can use saran wrap and whatever tape you have laying around.

Then I used some gel stain I had from a previous project to seal the edges where I cut. This helps to prevent bubbles from surfacing when you pour your epoxy. I filled the empty space with fireplace crushed glass, to just below the surface. My thinking was I’d use less epoxy and also help spread the light by giving it something clear to bounce off of.

I was now ready for my first pour of resin. I mixed in some pearl pigment along with some glow in the dark pigment. Once I poured it in, I used a heat gun to pop any bubbles that I could see. You don’t want to attempt to fill the space in one pour because it can cause curing issues. I did this project with 3 pours and a final pinhole touch up at the end.

In my final pour, I realized how unlevel my shop floor really is. Because the piece was not perfectly level my epoxy pooled on one side. Check your level and avoid this if you can, this stuff is not easy to sand and it’s messy. Again, I used a heat gun to relieve the bubbles that surfaced.

You can really see how nice the pearl pigment looks in the shot above. I let it cure overnight and removed my tyvek tape the next day. I sanded everything smooth and I was really happy with how it looked.

I used these 5050 RGB LED lights for this project. I hot glued them directly to the back of the epoxy and cut off the excess. It worked out perfectly.

I am a fan of both natural and stained wood, but this was a finger joint top so it was not a beautifully grained piece. Plus my wife is not a fan of wood in general, I think she would be happy if everything made of wood in the world was painted. So, we decided we would paint it. However, here are some photos of it with light before it was painted.

When it came time to paint, I knew I didn’t want a plain basic grey. So, I used a combination of grey, white, & black paint to achieve a really unique look. I painted the bulk of the piece grey then used black and white and a dry brush to drag the paint where I wanted it. The wife says it reminds her of a storm and she really loves it.

Mounted with a simple french cleat made from a 2×4

Here is a shot of the glow in the dark pigment. It glows for quite a while after the lights are shut off. It is not an overwhelmingly bright glow because I only used a small amount of pigment. If you like a nice dark room when you sleep this shouldn’t bother you. The color is a nice aqua blue color and I picked that color glow pigment to achieve what we wanted.

Finally, here are a couple shots of how it looks in a dark room with the lights set at full brightness.